Partner Spotlight | Galinda Fleming
We’ve had such a great time spotlighting our realtors, we want to take it a step further! In our Partner Spotlight we will shining the light on some of the other key players that keep our industry turning, like lenders, investors, builders, and more! We will continue to spotlight more of our amazing realtor partners but, in the meantime, let us take a walk on the other side of the transaction!
In this spotlight, we meet Galinda Fleming from MIDFLORIDA Credit Union!
MIDFLORIDA Credit Union
Outside Mortgage Loan Originator
(855) 915-4663 x8201
1. Tell us about yourself (background/education/experience).
My stepdad retired from the Army, so I was an Army brat and moved to Bartow in 1971. I graduated from Bartow High School in 1975. Worked for Publix for awhile and really believe I should have stayed. I moved on to working for Hi-Way Truck Equipment for about 10 years and then owned my own company. I have been married and divorced and have two grown children. My daughter, Jessica, gave me two granddaughters, age 13 and 20. My son, Levi, has a 1-year-old son and a dog that I take care of often.
I took 6 years off at one point in my career to work for Lighthouse Ministries Inc. They are a wonderful nonprofit that work with homeless men, women, and children operating a residential facility for them. They help them receive their GED, train for employment, and get back on their feet.
2. How long have you been in the industry?
I started in the mortgage industry in 1992 as an Office Manager. I have worked as a Processor, Loan Officer and eventually opened my own mortgage company. I also traveled the U.S. for sales and motivational training for Loan Officers. I then went back to being a Loan Officer.
3. What do you like most about living and working in Florida?
I love people and helping them buy homes, especially when it is their first home. The excitement and anticipation they have is gratifying, as it is likely the largest purchase they will make in their lifetime, and I get to be a part of it.
4. What advice do you have for anyone looking to buy or sell right now?
To purchase or finance right now – it is not about the rate, but about whether you can make the payment or not.
Some people wait for the rates to go back down to where they were before, but they only go up. Rates are at a record low and the rates in the past are just that – in the past – and you may not see those again. While it is always possible, waiting just risks the rates getting even higher.
5. What three traits define you?
6. What would you be doing if you weren’t in the industry?
7. What is the most gratifying aspect of what you do?
8. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
Be more patient, but I am not asking for that, Lord. I don’t ask The Lord for patience because I don’t want the trials that come with it. I am just trying to be more patient on my own.
9. What are your favorite indoor/outdoor activities?
Indoor activity – spending time with my grandson and reading
Outdoor activity – spending time with my grandson and anything outdoors
Don’t get to spend too much time with Ian, but I love that boy and my two beautiful granddaughters, Addison and Aliyah.
10. If you wrote an autobiography about your life, what would you title it?
Still Standing Because of God
11. In your opinion, what is the coolest design trend you are seeing in homes today?
I love open spaces and wrap-around porches to enjoy the outdoors.
12. Where is your favorite place in the world to be?
50/50 (and sometimes 60/40) the beach and the mountains - depends on my mood.
13. If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet?
Jesus, my Lord and Savior
14. Who would you want to play you in a movie about your life?
Meg Ryan – she played a part in a movie about divorce and getting back on her feet that was very good.
15. What are your top 5 favorite TV shows or movies in no particular order?
One Night with The King – Story of Esther in the Bible
When Comes the Heart
Anything Hallmark (I love chick flicks)
16. What are your top 5 favorite bands/artists or podcasts in no particular order?
17. Where is your favorite place to eat?
ABC Pizza, Plant City - I LOVE their Greek salad
Johnson’s BBQ, Plant City
Texas Cattle Company, Lakeland
Middle Grounds Seafood, Treasure Island
Sand Bar, Anna Maria Island
18. What is the most unique property you have ever worked on?
$3.5M Construction in Broward County
19. What is the most unusual thing you’ve encountered while working in your profession?
A certain client…. No further comment
20. Anything else you would like our readers to know about you and your company?
I truly enjoy working with my clients. I treat my clients the way I would like to be treated. My clients are not just numbers to me, they’re people who have lives and feelings. It may be my hundredth or thousandth time doing an application, but it could be their first time, so I try to make it like my first time as well.
That’s something I always reminded the Loan Officers I trained – take a little extra time to learn about your clients. Be present in the conversation, not just an order taker. Stop thinking you have better things to do. My clients become like family to me.
I enjoy working at MIDFLORIDA and appreciate all they have to offer.
Lastly – Be kind and smile at the next person you see. You never know what that kindness and smile might do for someone. Just be kind and smile to those around you daily!
Thank you, Galinda, for opening up and letting us get to know you better. Your passion for the industry and people really jumps off the page. And we totally agree, kindness is free so give everyone a smile!
Interested in being highlighted in an upcoming Realtor or Partner Spotlight? Reach out to our team for more information!